[csw-users] [csw-pkgrequests] package request

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Wed Mar 19 13:52:47 CET 2008

By the way .. please join the users maillist at users at lists.blastwave.org also.

> Am 19.03.2008 um 12:13 schrieb Trygve Laugstøl:
>> chris-piker at uiowa.edu wrote:
>>> I use the following software items every day on Solaris 8 and
>>> Solaris 10, so instead of recompiling from source all the time I
>>> \'d prefer to just be a blastwave maintainer.
>>>
>>> pgplot - 2D general purpose plotting package, widely used by
>>> astronomers.
>>> http://www.astro.caltech.edu/~tjp/pgplot/
>>>
>>> ppgplot - Python binding for the above package.
>>> http://freshmeat.net/projects/ppgplot/
>>>
>>> numpy - Python basic scientific computing package, efficient
>>> handling of arrays plus basic Fourier transforms.
>>> http://numpy.scipy.org/
>>
>> If you'd like to become a maintainer I suggest that you check out GAR
>> [1], create the package there and submit it. If the package is
>> accepted
>> you can commit your changes to GAR, build the packages on Blastwave's
>> internal build system and submit the packages for distribution.
>
> And you may of course sign up officially at
>    http://www.blastwave.org/maintainer-signup.php

Even more important, if one person uses these packages every day then it
stands to reason that others may want to use them also. Hence the value of a
public package.

A new feature that I am working on is a Sun Secure Global Desktop
environment that provides a complete development environment to Blastwave
members. Here is a screenshot from this morning :

http://www.blastwave.org/dclarke/blog/images/SunStudio_12_via_Sun_Secure_Global_Desktop_000.png

That is what you get when you login to the Solaris Nevada desktop server.
This is all very beta and I'm wringing out details. Things like how to
get both the Solaris 8 and Solaris 10 servers available with a single
click. This is just a modern tool approach to add to the classic
community based software effort.

The SSH access will of course remain available forever.

-
Dennis Clarke