[csw-users] blastwave forked?

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Tue Sep 9 21:51:32 CEST 2008

Hi Willie,

Am 09.09.2008 um 21:35 schrieb Willie:
> A couple of relevant links I can glean the full horror story from
> would
> be much appreciated.

Well, there are two kinds of posts:

Pro-OpenCSW:
- <http://www.heise-online.co.uk/open/Quarrels-about-Blastwave-
Solaris-repository--/news/111286>
   (Please also note the comments from Dennis and me)

Pro-Blastwave:
- http://www.blastwave.org/dclarke/blog/?q=node/111

Neutral?:
- <http://www.c0t0d0s0.org/archives/4691-KindergartenBlastwave.html>

Please judge for yourself who you believe.

> If my scant understanding is anywhere near accurate, I must say
> with no
> ill will toward anyone that I come firmly down on the side of package
> development and support for the stable production versions of
> solaris. I
> say this not least because S10 and S8 are what I use, but even without
> that bias it strikes me that this was originally the whole point of
> blastwave.
>
> Is it reasonable to abandon support for solaris releases that are are
> actively and currently being distributed and supported by Sun
> Microsystems?
>
> Is it unreasonable to expect such support to continue?
>
> Is it not the production releases that really *need* a project like
> blastwave?
>
> Isn't it fair to say the opensolaris project intends to do a decent
> job
> itself - without a parallel CSW effort - of including up to date
> end-user orientated software with frequent releases?

There will of course be packages for production versions of Solaris.
Most of the people maintaining packages still do, so the packaging
efforts will continue.