[csw-users] DBUS Install Script issue/problem (formerly: Pidgin Error on New Sol 10 Install)

JL Picard jlpicard15 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 3 07:09:00 CET 2009

Thanks Chad,

The new install of dbus package almost nailed it, however, there was still
was still one minor problem,more likely to do with the DBUS package install
than pidgin.

After installing DBUS, I ran pidgin on got this error again:
    process 11375: D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly set up; failed to
read machine uuid:
    Failed to open "/opt/csw/var/lib/dbus/machine-id": Permission denied

This time the machine-id file did exist, but unavailable to non-root users,
since permissions on the directory was:
> ls -arlt /opt/csw/var/
total 21
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     bin            2 Jan 25 14:45 proftpd
drwxr-xr-x   3 root     bin            3 Jan 25 14:53 spool
drwxr-xr-x   3 root     bin            3 Jan 25 14:53 svc
drwxr-xr-x  17 root     bin           20 Feb  2 16:05 ..
drwxrwx---   4 root     bin            4 Feb  3 00:50 lib
drwxr-xr-x   7 root     bin            7 Feb  3 00:50 .
drwxr-xr-x   3 root     root           3 Feb  3 00:50 run

Once I ran the following:
    chmod 775 /opt/csw/var/lib
pidgin seems to work.

JL