[csw-users] WARNING: upgrade problem with last openssh package under Solaris 10

Mike Watters mwatters at opencsw.org
Mon Feb 16 17:37:33 CET 2009

the problem lies in the pre-remove although I don't have a copy for
solaris 8 I can look at.

The workaround I have used in the past for this problem is as follows:

first, ssh into the system, sudo root
cd /var/sadm/pkgs/CSWossh/install
cp preremove ~/  # to keep a copy for cleanup
edit the preremove script in install and before any other code
put exit 0  this will cause the package to skip the pre-remove as
successful. then you can pkgrm the new package without losing your ssh
connections.  before adding the "new" package, walk yourself through the
original pre-remove and cleanup the same things it did.  i.e.
/var/run/sshd.pid et.al.
then you can pkg-add your new version and as people disconnect and
re-connect their ssh version will be upgraded.

- -- Mike