[csw-users] cairo, svg support, librsvg, and rrdtool 1.3.7 and higher

Geoff Davis gadavis at ucsd.edu
Tue Jul 21 02:47:14 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I've been rolling my own version of rrdtool 1.3.7 using the opencsw
libraries but another vendor supplied perl distribution. With the last
change to libcairo (r5356), the dependency on librsvg has been removed
to resolve a circular dependency. This has the side effect of
disabling support for SVG graphics (cairo_svg_surface_create) in Cairo.

Unfortunately, this means that rrdtool will not build. I have tried to
build a package out of GAR (which is currently using 1.3.8) and it
won't build either due to the lack of svg support in Cairo. I suspect
this issue will affect the maintainer of rrdtool the next time he
builds an RRDTool package.

This dependency order also has the side-effect of disabling cairo-svg
support in my hand rolled version of graphviz2.

What's the best way to get around this issue, and what is the OpenCSW
plan for rrdtool? I see that Ubuntu Linux is still distributing
RRDTool 1.3.1 in the most recent releases (jaunty and karmic),
possibly due to this problem.

Here's the build error I get when I try to build rrdtool out of GAR
using the most recent libcairo packages:

** SNIP a lot of build noise **
Find 3rd-Party Libraries
checking for cairo_font_options_create in -lcairo... yes
checking cairo.h usability... yes
checking cairo.h presence... yes
checking for cairo.h... yes
checking for cairo_svg_surface_create in -lcairo... no
checking for pkg-config... pkg-config
configure: WARNING:
* I found a copy of pkgconfig, but there is no cairo-svg.pc file around.
   You may want to set the PKG_CONFIG_PATH variable to point to its
   location.

configure: WARNING:
* I could not find a working copy of cairo-svg. Check config.log for
hints on why
   this is the case. Maybe you need to set LDFLAGS and CPPFLAGS
appropriately
   so that compiler and the linker can find libcairo and its header
files. If
   you have not installed cairo-svg, you can get it either from its
original home on

      http://cairographics.org/releases/

   You can find also find an archive copy on

      http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/pub/libs

   The last tested version of cairo-svg is 1.4.6.

        LIBS=-lcairo -lm  -lrt
    LDFLAGS=-xarch=v8 -L/opt/csw/lib -L/opt/csw/X11/lib
   CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/csw/include/cairo -I/opt/csw/include/libxml2/libxml
-I/opt/csw/X11/include -I/opt/csw/include -D_POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS -
D_REENTRANT

checking for cairo_pdf_surface_create in -lcairo... yes
checking cairo-pdf.h usability... yes
checking cairo-pdf.h presence... yes
checking for cairo-pdf.h... yes
checking for cairo_ps_surface_create in -lcairo... yes
checking cairo-ps.h usability... yes
checking cairo-ps.h presence... yes
checking for cairo-ps.h... yes
checking for pango_cairo_context_set_font_options in -lpango-1.0... no
checking for pkg-config... (cached) pkg-config
checking for pango_cairo_context_set_font_options in -lpango-1.0... yes
checking pango/pango.h usability... yes
checking pango/pango.h presence... yes
checking for pango/pango.h... yes
checking for xmlParseFile in -lxml2... yes
checking libxml/parser.h usability... yes
checking libxml/parser.h presence... yes
checking for libxml/parser.h... yes
configure: error: Please fix the library issues listed above and try
again.
gmake[1]: *** [configure-work/build-isa-sparcv8/rrdtool-1.3.8/
configure] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/export/home/pkgbuild/sandbox/rrdtool'
make: *** [build-isa-sparcv8] Error 2