[csw-users] feedback on pkg-get behaviour change requested

Chris May chrismay50 at gmail.com
Sun May 31 22:37:16 CEST 2009

Philip Brown wrote:
[...]
> I am considering altering the behavior of "pkg-get -c", so that it
> only prints out installed packages, that have DIFFERENT versions in the
> catalog.

Has this change now been made? I notice what looks like this
difference between the
behaviour of 4.1.2 and 4.2, when querying for a package which is
already installed.
Comparing the two...

# /tmp/pkg-get.4.1.2 -c nrpe
# (From site http://ibiblio.org/pub/packages/solaris/opencsw/current )
      software                        localrev                      remoterev
          nrpe             2.12,REV=2009.05.17                           SAME

# /tmp/pkg-get.4.2 -c nrpe
# (From site http://ibiblio.org/pub/packages/solaris/opencsw/current )
      software                        localrev                      remoterev
#

This causes a problem for the Puppet configuration management
software(http://reductivelabs.com/trac/puppet), which parses the
output of pkg-get -c {package} to determine whether a package is
installed or not. The absence of the "SAME" line causes it to think
that the package is not present, and hence re-install it.

Is this intended to be a permanent change? If so, I'll raise an
enhancement request with the Puppet maintainers to use '-c -a
{package}' instead - which looks as if it should work in the same way
with either pkg-get 4.1.2 or 4.2

Thanks!

Chris