[csw-users] pkgutil: Loop protection limit hit ... cyclic catalog dependency

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Tue Nov 3 14:15:07 CET 2009

* Peter Bonivart <bonivart at opencsw.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 11:54 AM, Sebastian Kayser <skayser at opencsw.org> wrote:
> > What's funny about this is that i just upgraded another machine with the
> > same catalog just fine. What's the proper way to nail down the culprit
> > here? The boxes are almost the same: the one where i am seeing the
> > problem above has a couple of packages less installed compared to the
> > one that upgraded fine.
>
> There's a long standing issue with some Apache Jakarta packages. If
> you run "chkcat -e" on the catalog you will see this:
>
> ERROR! Cyclic dependency detected in package CSWajccollect.
> ERROR! Cyclic dependency detected in package CSWajcconfig.
> ERROR! Cyclic dependency detected in package CSWajcemail.
> ERROR! Cyclic dependency detected in package CSWajcnet.
>
> Don't run it without -e (erroronly) as it will warn about every
> package affected by these four errors and that's a lot of packages.
> Most likely you're trying to upgrade one of those. That's why it works
> on another machine that doesn't have one of the affected packages.

Thanks for pointing me to -e, that's exactly what i was looking for.
None of those four packages is installed on the affected machine though.

# pkgutil -u
Looking for packages that can be upgraded...
Parsing catalog, may take a while...
Loop protection limit (25000) hit. There's probably a cyclic dependency
in the catalog.

# pkginfo | grep CSWaj
#

Sebastian