[csw-users] apache2 / mod_perl2 / oracle

Dewey Hylton dewey at hyltown.com
Fri Nov 6 01:13:28 CET 2009

On Nov 5, 2009, at 6:05 PM, Sebastian Kayser wrote:

> Hi Dewey,
>
> Dewey Hylton wrote on 05.11.2009 13:40:
>> hi all. i've been highly unsuccessful moving a particular set of
>> websites
>> from linux to solaris due to perl module issues. this of course is
>> not
>> strictly a csw issue, but my preference is to install everything
>> necessary
>> via csw.
>>
>> to this end, i'd like to ask if anyone can point me to a recipe for
>> what
>> i'm trying to do. ultimately, this is what i'd like:
>>
>> apache2 running mod_perl
>> apache/perl talking to oracle (oracle client is of course outside
>> the scope
>> of csw)
>> apache auth via oracle
>
> if you have been running that kind of stuff on a Linux platform
> before,
> what packages did you use there? Is it something like:
>
> - Apache2/APR compiled with apr_dbd_oracle.so for authentication
> - DBD::Oracle for Perl Oracle connectivity
> - Oracle client
>
>> i'm darned close using apache13, but this is not ideal for several
>> reasons.
>
> Aside from the drawbacks you are implying, would our Apache 1.3
> package
> put you in a position to connect to Oracle? How?
>
> Sebastian

on the linux side...

system packages:
	apache2

CPAN:
	Apache::DBI
	Apache::Session:DBI
	DBI
	CGI
	mod_perl2
	LWP::UserAgent
	HTML::Embperl

manually installed:
	http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/M/ME/MERGL/ApacheDBI-0.71.tar.gz

apache2 has configs including this:

	PerlAuthenHandler Apache::AuthDBI::authen
	PerlAuthzHandler Apache::AuthDBI::authz

	<Location /xxx>
	SetHandler perl-script
	PerlHandler Apache::Registry
	Options Includes FollowSymLinks ExecCGI
	</Location>

now, on the solaris side i started with these and all the dependencies
they brought with them:
	pkgutil -in CSWpmapachedbi CSWpmdbdoracle

i used the csw perl/cpan to install a few of the other modules. i had
to manually install DBD::Oracle (from CPAN) but it got me part way
there. apache auth via oracle is currently working, but for some
reason the perl cgis are not getting ORACLE_HOME and other variables
passed and are failing to connect with oracle for that reason. i think
it's an apache config issue, but have yet to find it. i'd still rather
use apache2 and not have to rewrite so much of the config.

that was a lot of stuff; i hope it answers your questions. thanks for
your interest.