[csw-users] [sysadmin-discuss] Dovecot and Postfix

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Mon Oct 5 13:06:28 CEST 2009

Hi Tobias,

Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
> Am 05.10.2009 um 10:04 schrieb Tobias Daub:
>> I'm running postfix and dovecot inside a ZONE under OpenSolaris
>> 2008.11. Each user has a .fetchmailrc, .procmailrc and a Maildir
>> directory in her/his home directory.
>>
>> It seems as dovecot doesn't find the Maildir/ directory. After I
>> fetched new mails with fetchmail, the Maildir directory crows, so I
>> would say, that the mails are stored there correctly. I can "login"
>> into the imap account (dovecot responds with SSL certificate and all
>> that stuff), but there are no mails!
>>
>> My dovecot.conf resides under /opt/csw/etc/ and the "mail_location"
>> ist set to maildir:~/Maildir. My postfix main.cf which resides
>> unter /etc/postfix/ has the entry home_mailbox = Maildir/ .
>>
>> I wasn't sure, where to put the main.cf, is that the right place?

>> Does anybody has an idea, what could issue the problem?

you can set "mail_debug = yes" in your dovecot.conf to have Dovecot log
the location where it looks for the user inbox upon login. This is to make
sure it is indeed looking for mail where you would expect it (~/Maildir is
one of the defaults when you don't specify mail_location at all).

Do you sort your mail into subfolders (find ~/Maildir -type d)? If so, you
usually need to explicitly subscribe them in your mail client, as they
don't show up per default.

If the above doesn't help, please provide the output of "pkginfo -l
CSWdovecot", "dovecot -n", "postconf -n", "postconf mailbox_command", and
your .procmailrc.

Sebastian