[csw-users] Compilers used?

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Thu Sep 3 09:41:59 CEST 2009

Hi George,

Am 02.09.2009 um 23:40 schrieb Wyche, George PW:

> @Dagobert Michelsen
>
> That is very specific. Thank you.
>
> -------------------------------------
> What is the difference between "member" and "user"?

A user is anybody using the packages. A maintainer is somebody who
has build a package. After that, maintainers can apply for membership
to the OpenCSW association. You can read the bylaws and member list at
   <http://wiki.opencsw.org/open-community-software-project-bylaws>

> -------------------------------------
> Below, you say:
>  "Aha! For gcc we just use our own OpenCSW GCC compilers, which are
> not
> relocatable."
> I'm sorry, but 2 things, then, I don't understand:
> 1) What do you mean "not relocatable"?

They are in /opt/csw/gcc<version>. You can not install them anywhere
alere
because there are hardcoded pathes in there. You can install the Sun
Studio
compiler to arbitrary pathes, though.

> 2) What, if anything, involves "our own ... compilers"? What good does
> this do for me?

If a package has been compiled with gcc and the flags are recorded you
may be forced to use the same compiler.

> -----------------------------------
> If I wish to extend Python and wish to use the 5.8 sparc version
> OpenCSW
> package for Python, then it would seem that I have to have Sun
> Studio 11
> for myself. My SunBlade100 with 5.8 is configured with too few
> resources
> for Studio 11.

I would recommend buying a 120 GB PATA disk for 5$ from the fleamarket,

> Are any of us OpenCSW users privy to the exact procedures involved in
> all packages made? If I knew it I would duplicate the Python making
> process using my gcc.

The builds at OpenCSW are done with GAR and the build description is
available
at
   <http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/browser/csw/mgar/pkg/python/trunk

You can find an introduction to GAR at http://gar.opencsw.org