[csw-users] pkgutil switches so as to show what WOULD happen.

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Sun Mar 21 21:41:22 CET 2010

Peter Bonivart wrote on 13.03.2010 01:19:
> On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 1:02 AM, Wyche, George             PW
> <George.Wyche at pw.utc.com> wrote:
>> @Peter
>>
>> Thanks. I succeeded with pkgutil -in <name>
>> It *mostly* worked.
>> pkgutil -in xpdf  came back saying Updated packages: CSWftype2-...
>>
>> That CSWftype2 is misleading.
>> fgrep ftype2 [name]/sparc/5.8/descriptions does not return anything.
>>
>> After a bit I found freetype2, but I don't know a straight forward way
>> to find it.
>
> Pkgutil allows mixing catalog name and package name, however the
> descriptions file only contains the catalog name, that's why your grep
> didn't work.

Following up on the sometimes confusing topic of catalog name versus
package name, we have put together a FAQ item (on the upcoming
opencsw.org relaunch page) which gives some background information on
these differing names.

http://www-mockup.opencsw.org/about/faq/#why-do-packages-go-by-two-names-e-g-cswftype2-and-freetype2

HTH

Sebastian