[csw-users] Outdated packages e.g. GCC 4.3 instead of 4.6 - reason? ; Suggestion new packages?

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Mon Aug 1 02:40:14 CEST 2011

Excerpts from Victor Hooi's message of Wed Jul 27 21:26:51 -0400 2011:

Hi Victor,

>    - Ruby 1.8 -> version 1.9.2 (February 2011)

The plan with ruby is to provide both 1.8 and 1.9 installable
side-by-side.  The 1.8 package would take priority until such time as
Matz officially blesses 1.9 as the preferred version.[1]

Most of the packaging work for 1.9 is done but the test suite has some
failures.  I've fixed one or two (patches taken upstream), but not
others.  I ran short of time on this issue.  I do plan to get back to
it, but I'm currently focusing on automating parts of our release
process.  If you'd like to lend some of your cycles to help me fix the
failing tests (sometimes the tests themselves are making bad
assumptions), I'd happily split the task with you.

Thanks
-Ben

[1] My understanding is that even though they tag 1.9.2 as 'stable'
    it's still in flux and subject to language changes and thus not
    recommended for production use.  I'll likely follow Debian's lead
    in flipping the primary version.
--
Ben Walton
Systems Programmer - CHASS