[csw-users] libgnu_dev

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Tue Dec 6 02:24:42 CET 2011

Excerpts from Mark R Bannister's message of Mon Dec 05 15:11:02 -0500 2011:

Hi Mark,

> I'm not familiar with GAR.  What would that mean for me exactly?

The GAR stuff wouldn't help you directly.  It would make it easier for
CSW maintainers to build packages that require some glibc interface or
work around a broken/deficient solaris implementation...in a very easy
way.

> I'm not building an OpenCSW project, I am porting nss_db to Solaris:
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/nss_db.txt

Ok, that won't be as straight forward.  I think you may want to check
out gnulib-tool --create-testdir.  If you feed it the list of modules
you need to make nss_db build, it'll give you a libgnu.a containing
those modules.  Integrating gnulib into nss_db won't be straight
forward given it's glibc bundling.

> It's coming along well, but I got stuck with the argp dependency.  I
> thought libgnu_dev would help me, but as you know I then discovered
> that the library didn't actually include argp.
>
> I'll probably need to pull out the argp source files and insert them
> directly into my modified build directory to carry on.  I've not had
> much luck with gnulib-tool, it doesn't want to work on this source
> tree.

Feel free to ping me off-list if you need a hand getting a usable
libgnu.a...I think it should be easily possible.  (Famous last words!)

Thanks
-Ben
--
Ben Walton