[csw-users] pkg-get is deprecated

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Tue Jul 12 13:56:00 CEST 2011

> Hello OpenCSW users,
>
> pkg-get[1], the original package installation tool, is now deprecated.
>  The development is now focused on pkgutil[2].  The bootstrap area of
> the website[3] no longer shows the choice between pkg-get and pkgutil;
> the old URL is now a HTTP redirection to the pkgutil page.
>
>> curl -s -I http://www.opencsw.org/get-it/pkg-get/ | gegrep
>> '(HTTP|Location)'
> HTTP/1.0 301 Moved Permanently
> Location: http://www.opencsw.org/get-it/pkgutil/
>
> The old tool is still available from the package catalog, but it isn't
> supported and there are no guarantees that it will receive any updates
> in the future.
>
> Those who care about pkg-get are encouraged to look for a new
> maintainer for the package.
>
> If you have any further questions, feel free to ask, either here, or
> at #opencsw on Freenode.
>
> Maciej
>
> [1] http://www.opencsw.org/packages/CSWpkgget/
> [2] http://www.opencsw.org/packages/CSWpkgutil/
> [3] http://www.opencsw.org/get-it/

This would be because you forced Phil Brown out the door.
I have my differences with Phil Brown but it must be said
he sure as hell knew how to do software correctly.

You guys never cease to amaze me at your methods.

| Dennis Clarke           |  Elected Member of the LAST     |
| dclarke at blastwave.org   |  OpenSolaris Governance Board   |