[csw-users] Running pkgutil and OpenCSW as non-root?

Victor Hooi victorhooi at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 23 05:48:31 CEST 2011

Peter,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Hmm, the issue is it's an incredibly locked down environment, unfortunately.
Even getting the sysadmins to install specified packages from say OpenCSW
would be a bureacratic nightmare. We're still stuck on GCC 3.x, vi (not
vim), Python 2.3 etc. Hence why we're looking at using something like
OpenCSW or Blastwave, or compiling ourselves.

So pkgutil ultimately runs pkgadd/pkgrm, which we can't run as non-root.

Would it be possible to perhaps install Solaris on our own machine, setup
OpenCSW and install the packages, then transplant those installed packages
onto the box? As in, we'd copy the /opt/csw directory to our own prefix, and
edit our PATH/LD_LIBRARY_PATH to run from there?

It's an ugly hack, and I guess we lose things like easy upgrades,
centralised package management, and easy removes, but it's probably a whole
lot better than compiling ourselves from scratch.

Failing that, are the compile flag, patches, and procedures for building the
packages perhaps documented anywhere? We might be able to replicate it on
our boxes in our own prefix.

Cheers,
Victor