[csw-users] ongoing problem with Orca master abend after filling memory

Peter Bonivart bonivart at opencsw.org
Sat Jun 25 23:56:03 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 7:03 PM, Glen Gunselman <ggunselm at emporia.edu> wrote:
> I did a little research on Perl.  Looks like Orca was OK with CSWperl 5.8.8,
> but hobbit updated it to 5.10.1.  I see some comments about Perl 5.10,
> Solaris 10, and memory leaks ...
>
> I will assume it is a Perl thing

There's some research supporting your view, apparently if you compile
Perl on Solaris 8 or 9 as we do it will leak some memory, even when
run on Solaris 10. Only way to avoid this is to compile on Solaris 10.

Good news is that our next update to Perl will be built separately on
Solaris 9 and 10 to avoid this problem. We will also enable DTrace
support for the Solaris 10 Perl to help you and others with debugging.

Ref: http://www.opencsw.org/mantis/view.php?id=4689

/peter