[csw-users] SunFreeware vs. Blastwave

Larry Siden lsiden at westside-consulting.com
Tue Mar 15 18:47:42 CET 2011

I just installed a new Sun workstation running Solaris 5.10.  Being new to
Solaris, I wound up installing both pkg-get and pkgutil.  I'd like to use
one or the other exclusively to avoid potential conflicts, but each seems to
cover different packages from the mirror sites they are defaulted with.

For example, the mirror http://download.blastwave.org/csw/unstable has git
1.6.3, while the SunFreeware mirror
ftp://ftp.sunfreeware.com/pub/freewarehas Git 1.7.4.  The mirror
http://download.blastwave.org/csw/stable doesn't even contain git!

OTOH, the blastwave mirror has many PHP modules, while the SunFreeware
mirror site has only different versions of php and no php-cli.

Also, AFIKT only Blastwave has gpg signed packages.

Why does each have such different coverage?  Are they targeted at different
use cases (for example webservers vs something else)?

Can I mix and match packages from each without creating conflicts?

Larry Siden,
Westside Consulting LLC
westside-consulting.com
734-926-9614