[csw-users] Where to get stable packages and how to contribute?

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Fri Oct 28 10:00:33 CEST 2011

Hi Andrey,

Am 28.10.2011 um 09:11 schrieb Бондаренко Андрей Витальевич:
> Currently, I’m using CSW packages on sparc a few hosts. Usually, I prefer using prebuild
> packages, but sometimes software in CSW catalog is outdated or miss some features.
> For such  cases I’ve set up a build host where I can build packages from GAR. Now, I have
> some questions.
>
> What catalog contain packages for regular use? Packages in stable are very old, mostly.
> Software in testing and unstable looks newer, but how stable it is? For example,
> subversion related packages  mixes two version 1.6.16 and 1.6.15, which looks strange
> for me.

This should not the case. In what catalog have you seen this?

We are currently transitioning to named releases as described here:
  http://mirror.opencsw.org/opencsw/
It is depicted here:
  http://buildfarm.opencsw.org/~skayser/opencsw-release-branches-v3.png
Both information should be on the webpage soon.

So, mid-term it would be best to subscribe to "dublin" in your case.

> While building packages with GAR, I sometime face bug in GAR or package. Usually,
> I’m fixing them by myself, because it is usually faster. I don’t want to become a maintainer,
> because I can’t spent time on CSW regularly, but I can send bug reports/patches from
> time to time. Is there a need in such contributions.

Yes, definitely. Even if you can't spent time regularly it may be beneficial if we would just enable
an account for your to do the fixes. We are always trying to give experienced users direct
access to the maintainers for feedback, so, be invited!

> What is the preferred way to
> send patches, bug reports. There is GAR trac at SF, Mantis at OpenCSW and several
> mailing lists. What should I use?

As you want to contribute to GAR Makefile and GAR itself I guess it would be the SF Trac for GAR.
Additionally, you can always directly submit issues via IRC (Freenode #opencsw) or issue bugs
for specific packages on Mantis. Or, of course, here on the users list.