[csw-users] Jnettop - console etwork traffic visualizer - thoughts?

Jonathan Craig jon.craig at craigslanding.net
Tue Sep 13 13:11:21 CEST 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 7:41 PM, Victor Hooi <victorhooi at yahoo.com> wrote:
> (I couldn't find any alternatives in the existing packages - nearest
> equavilent is Ntop, but that requires a web-server and nowhere near as
> lightweight).

Don't know anything about jnettop but having tools in ones bag is
always nice.  Thought I would comment on your comment about ntop.  You
imply that ntop needs an external web-server but ntop is in fact its
own web server and this essentially makes up its UI.  As to
lightweight, I haven't found ntop too onerous and you always have the
option to configure it on an external box and use network mirroring
(cisco and others provide this) to capture the traffic out-of-band and
add no additional load to your monitored flows.  Disclaimer: I
inherited the ntop packaging once upon a time.

Cheers,

Jon Craig