[csw-users] New catalog layout

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Tue Sep 20 10:42:37 CEST 2011

Hello OpenCSW users,

After a break, we have started pushing new packages to the mirrors
again.  The release process is now automated, allowing frequent
releases to the unstable catalog.  Even though the break in pushing
packages to the mirrors has been on hold for about two months, the
work on packages has been continuing in the development catalogs.  The
main change is that we created a new signing key and started to push
the new packages to the official mirrors.  There is a couple cool
updates in the pipeline, including gcc-4.6, php-5 and apache-2.2.
They are available in the unstable catalog and getting more testing
before they get promoted to testing.  To learn what 'unstable', and
'testing' mean, please read on.

There has been a change to the catalog layout.  Previously, the
catalogs were laid out as follows:

- current contained all the new releases
- unstable was a backward-compatible symlink to current
- stable was an old, dead release

The new layout is as follows:

- dublin is the named release we're working on right now
- unstable is a quickly changing catalog which gets all the new releases
- current is a symlink to dublin (for compatibility purposes)
- testing is a symlink to dublin (will eventually change to the next
named release)
- stable is still an old, dead release

The main difference is that current and unstable are no longer the same catalog.

Our recommendations for which catalog to subscribe:

- your workstation / development system / testing system: subscribe to
unstable and help us catch potential problems early
- production systems (you'll always get the branch that gets updates):
subscribe to testing
- production systems (locked on to one named release): subscribe to dublin

There is also information available in the README file in the top directory:
http://mirror.opencsw.org/opencsw/

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Maciej