[csw-users] problems with updated apache2 + php5

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Wed Feb 29 03:12:48 CET 2012

Excerpts from Joseph Kwan's message of Tue Feb 28 18:20:58 -0500 2012:

Hi Joseph,

> [Tue Feb 28 14:48:17 2012] [crit] Apache is running a threaded MPM, but
> your PHP Module is not compiled to be threadsafe.  You need to recompile
> PHP.
> Pre-configuration failed
> [ Feb 28 14:48:17 Method "start" exited with status 1 ]

Here is the code generating the error:

#ifndef ZTS
        int threaded_mpm;

        ap_mpm_query(AP_MPMQ_IS_THREADED, &threaded_mpm);
        if(threaded_mpm) {
                ap_log_error(APLOG_MARK, APLOG_CRIT, 0, 0, "Apache is
        running a threaded MPM, but your PHP Module is not compiled to
        be threadsafe.  You need to recompile PHP.");
                return DONE;
        }
#endif

The ZTS is defined if the configuration option --enable-maintainer-zts
is used but it is described as:

Enable thread safety - for code maintainers only!!

So that explains why it's bailing out now.  Looking at the svn tree
for the file that generates the error, I'm under the impression that
this is very old code as is the autoconf handling for it.

This doesn't help much, I know, but it's a start.

Thanks
-Ben
--
Ben Walton