[csw-users] re-installing package that's already installed

Peter Bonivart bonivart at opencsw.org
Wed Jan 4 09:27:43 CET 2012

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 3:23 AM, Larry Siden
<lsiden at westside-consulting.com> wrote:
> After mucking around with installed files in the mysql5 package to get it to
> work, I want to re-install it to get it back into its pristine state and
> start again.  Unfortunately, I cannot find any option of pkgutil that does
> this.  I thought that pkutil -i -f "force install" might do the trick, but
> all it does it list the packages and says they are already installed.  I
> tried removing mysql5 with "pkgutil -r -f ..." but it does the same thing,
> saying that it and its dependencies are all "in use".

The --force option does nothing is the package version is exactly the
same. It's meant more for downgrading if you, e.g., tried an
experimental repo of mysql and wants to go back to your normal one.

If you use --remove with a package that something depends on it can
not be removed by pkgutil. Try pkgrm on mysql and see what it says
regarding dependencies.

> What I'm actually thinking doing is going into /var/sadm/pkg to rename the
> package directory to trick pkutil into "thinking" that the package has not
> been installed yet and then re-installing it.

I would definitely not do it this way. There doesn't seem to be
anything wrong with your system.

/peter