[csw-users] pkgutil -e reports updates that won't update

Peter Bonivart bonivart at opencsw.org
Tue Jan 31 17:29:38 CET 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Ronald Parker Jr
<rparker at a123systems.com> wrote:
> I have a "pkgutil -e" cronjob that emails me the following list:
>
> CSWcacertificates         20111106,REV=2011.11.06   20091101,REV=2009.11.01

It doesn't really list updates, only changes. Note that the middle
column is your current installed version of the package and the 3rd
column is the version in the catalog, this is displayed if you do
"pkgutil -C". Normally a difference in installed and catalog version
means an update is available but in your case the catalog seems old so
pkgutil is correct in finding nothing to do when you want to upgrade.

Do you by any chance use the "current" catalog and at one time updated
packages from the "unstable" catalog?

You can check which catalog you're actively using with "pkgutil --catinfo".

/peter