[csw-users] Selecting 32 or 64 MySQL server

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Mon Jul 2 17:44:48 CEST 2012

Hi Laurent,

Am 02.07.2012 um 17:40 schrieb Laurent Blume:
> I've got a simple questions, but it seems there is no simple answer yet, so I'd like for some feedback first.
>
> Problem is simple: both the 32- and 64-bit MySQL servers are delivered by OpenCSW. How to select one?
>
> This is very much Solaris 10-centric. I really assume here that S9 and below are dead or deadish, and not really worth bothering about anymore.
>
> The current method only point to the 32-bit one. There is no mechanism yet to select the other one.
>
> Here are the choices I've thought about:
>  (1) Get rid of the 32-bit version altogether: seriously, this is my preferred way. Solaris 10 supports 32-bit only on x86, and that kind of hardware is seriously outdated by now. Replacing it seems trivial;
>    Pros: Simple and results in less work
>    Cons: Might not be possible, or not useful for all other daemons
>
>  (2) Use a central or specific configuration file, user-edited, to get the desired value: MySQL5's method already sources a mysql5rc file at different locations. It could contains a variable such as MYSQL_ARCH=[32|64|amd64|sparcv9|...], that could then be used below to start the daemon:
>    if [ -n "${MYSQL_ARCH}" -o "${MYSQL_ARCH}" = "32" ]; then
>      ${BINDIR}/${MYSQL_ARCH}/mysqld_safe ...
>    else
>      ${BINDIR}/mysqld_safe ...
>    fi
>
>    I believe this could be extended easily to any other daemon by sourcing /etc/opt/csw/csw.conf, and using, if any, the DAEMONNAME_ARCH variable found there (or ${pkgname}_arch?)
>    Pros: Easy to select and provide a list of defaults for, either in a sample csw,conf file or in daemon-specific rc files, and will be kept easily across upgrades; default could easily be set using isainfo -b; it would also allow to have different optimization levels, if ever needed;
>    Cons: Well, there's the need to create and maintain sample files, and to modify existing methods
>
>  (3) Use isaexec
>    Pros: Transparent, no configuration needed
>    Cons: I've been told Dagobert has 1001 reasons not to use it, I guess one of them is that when it's actually needed to select a specific version, then it's not easy at all
>
>  (4) Use an SMF property;
>    Pros: It's SMF! It's made with XML! Oracle likes to put everything there!
>    Cons: Same as Pros, plus it needs to be handled properly by the CAS stuff so it's kept across upgrades.
>

> In a pinch, I'd favor (2), since it covers more than just my MySQL problem.
>
> Thoughts?

The downside for (2) is you need to manually select the tools from either /opt/csw/bin
or /opt/csw/bin/64 for your selected data model. We had this for OpenLDAP at it is not
easy to understand for users. I tend to believe that completely moving to 64 bit would be
best (with 32 bit libraries available also).