[csw-users] libc.so.1 SUNW_1.22.2

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Wed Nov 28 18:08:47 CET 2012

Hi George,

Am 28.11.2012 um 17:59 schrieb "Wyche, George             PW" <George.Wyche at pw.utc.com>:
> Which version(s) of OS10 are we supporting?

That question is difficult and we don't have an answer that is correct
for all versions. The easy answer is 10u10 because we built on that.
However, it is possible to use a somewhat lower u-level which is accomodated
by providing map files to the build limiting the used function set to
older versions. Usually this is somewhere around u8. For production system
the recommended thing is to use a recent u anyway.

> I tried (after many weeks) to run my openCSW samba under OS5.10. Failed. Then I read the email here on the list and was heartened to see I was not alone.
>
> Tuesday I loaded up 118 new gz files from the "kiel" release that differed from my last "unstable" downloading last summer that I knew I would eventually be needing.
>
> "pkgutil --install samba" went happily. But the samba log file now says libc.so.1 SUNW_1.22.2 not found. (Before it was 1.22.7 not found.)

libc 1.22.2 is way before u7:
  http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/lib/libc/port/mapfile-vers
You may be able to get 1.22.2 by installing the latest patchcluster.

> Somehow I got the impression that the samba repair was going to accommodate (all versions of) Solaris10.

This is definitely not possible. Think of the addition of zfs and new platform support.

> It hasn't been stated (has it?) which version of Solaris 10 is the minimum version. My guess is it must be the version only available by DVD.

I would say our baseline is s10u8. You can freely download s10u10 and luupgrade to that
without a support contract IIRC.

> Can I instead use some Solaris8/9 versions and depend on binary upward compatibility?

Sure. But please note that we don't build for Solaris 8 and 9 any more and
I am pretty sure you can't get a recent Samba to compile on Solaris 9 at all.