[csw-users] python broken?

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Mon Oct 1 15:50:59 CEST 2012

2012/10/1 Gerard Henry <ghenry at cmi.univ-mrs.fr>

> hello all,
>
> i have problems with python, failing to install virtualenv (
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/**virtualenv<http://pypi.python.org/pypi/virtualenv>
> ).
> I've tried with easy_install and other methods, and it always fails,
> claiming about md5 module (not _md5)

Not sure why it complains about the md5 module, since has been deprecated.
But normally you only get a deprecation notice and the module loads.

> t2000-root% /opt/csw/bin/python virtualenv.py my_new_env
> New python executable in my_new_env/bin/python
> Installing setuptools......
>   Complete output from command /donnees/virtualenv/my_new_**env/bin/python
> -c "#!python
> \"\"\"Bootstra...sys.argv[1:])
>
> " --always-copy -U setuptools:
>   Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<string>", line 67, in <module>
> ImportError: No module named md5
> ------------------------------**----------
> ...Installing setuptools...done.
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "virtualenv.py", line 2471, in <module>
>     main()
>   File "virtualenv.py", line 942, in main
>     never_download=options.never_**download)
>   File "virtualenv.py", line 1052, in create_environment
>     search_dirs=search_dirs, never_download=never_download)
>   File "virtualenv.py", line 599, in install_setuptools
>     search_dirs=search_dirs, never_download=never_download)
>   File "virtualenv.py", line 571, in _install_req
>     cwd=cwd)
>   File "virtualenv.py", line 1020, in call_subprocess
>     % (cmd_desc, proc.returncode))
> OSError: Command /donnees/virtualenv/my_new_**env/bin/python -c "#!python
> \"\"\"Bootstra...sys.argv[1:])
>
> " --always-copy -U setuptools failed with error code 1
>

> any idea?

I've seen the same error. Did you dig down to the root cause? For example,
did you try replacing the md5 (obsolete module) import with an import of
the hashlib module?