[csw-users] python broken?

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Tue Oct 9 22:10:19 CEST 2012

Hi Gerard,

> Ok, I've replicated your problem and am now debugging it.  I'll let
> you know what I find out.

Here is what I know so far:

1. The import of the md5 module is happening from a script called that
is stored in coded form in EZ_SETUP_PY in virtualenv.py
2. The failure to import md5 from either hashlib or the deprecated
module is because extra system paths in /opt/csw/lib/python aren't in
sys.path
3. The sys.path list is manipulated from inside the virtualenv
environment based on the site.py file in $venv/lib/python/site.py and
this is stored in virtualenv.py as SITE_PY.

If I modify site.py after the failed installation and add both
/opt/csw/lib/python and /opt/csw/lib/python/lib-dynload to sys.path
(at the end) and then run the extracted bootscript with -d
./myenv/lib/python2.6/site-packages the bootscript will succeed.
Without the -d argument, it expects a directory at
myenv/lib/python/site-packages with isn't created.

So, it seems that this is a conflict between the expectations of
virtualenv and CSW's python.  I'm out of time to spend on this tonight
but we can hopefully tweak virtualenv so that it will play nice with
CSW's python in a way that we can kick the patch upstream.

HTH.

Thanks
-Ben