[csw-users] configuring sendmail for smtp authentication

Jake Goerzen jgoerzen at opencsw.org
Wed Sep 19 23:06:38 CEST 2012

Hello,

I've have a working install of OpenCSW sendmail server up and running
and would like to add smtp authentication to it so I have added the
following to my sendmail.mc and rebuilt sendmail.cf:

define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A p y')dnl
define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`LOGIN PLAIN')dnl

After restarting sendmail I setup thunderbird as a client and test
sending mail.  I get a prompt for a username/password when sending but
the credentials are never accepted.  I'm pretty sure saslauthd is
configured correctly since I can successfully test it:

$ /opt/csw/sbin/testsaslauthd -u username -p password
0: OK "Success."

It is as if sendmail doesn't know how to communicate with saslauthd.
 From searching the web, I've tried creating the file
/etc/opt/csw/Sendmail.conf with the contents:

pwcheck_method: saslauthd
mech_list: PLAIN LOGIN
saslauthd_path: /var/opt/csw/saslauthd/mux

But it still does not work.   Has anyone set this up and have it working?

Thanks,
Jake