[csw-users] CSW on an Oracle ZFS Server (7320)

Forrest Aldrich forrie at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 22:36:45 CEST 2013

We purchased two Oracle ZFS 7320 servers recently.    To my surprise,
these systems are designed to be closed and not meant for general
shell-level interaction.   For example, / is mounted read-only -- but
because it's a ZFS filesystem, that flag is easily overridden.

I wanted to install some basic command-line utilities for use here.
Turns out, Oracle doesn't include some basic /usr/bin commands like "vi"
and "rsync".

The solution, I thought, was to simply create multiple ZFS volumes to
allow for:

/opt/csw
/etc/opt/csw
/var/opt/csw

turns out, it's not that easy as pkg installation needs to write and
interact with /var/sadm (and other locations), which is making this
impractical to accomplish.

There is a C compiler on the system in /etc/sfw/bin/gcc, but in my case
where I need "rsync" the stock /usr/bin/grep command isn't sufficient to
complete a ./configure:  "checking for grep that handles long lines and -e"

So I'm working against a design that is intended to be closed.   I just
need to be able to get some basic stuff on there.   Since I need
"rsync", I thought I could take one compiled from Solaris 10 -- but the
shared libs are missing, so that won't work.

Anyone know how I can effect a static compile of rsync for Oracle
Solaris 11 :-)

I'm also curious if anyone else has run into this issue with these
systems.   We use rsync pretty frequently for some internal stuff, so I
really need to find a way to get it there.

Thanks,

Forrest