[csw-users] CSW on an Oracle ZFS Server (7320)

İhsan Doğan ihsan at dogan.ch
Tue Jul 2 16:07:44 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 07/01/2013 10:36 PM, Forrest Aldrich wrote:
> We purchased two Oracle ZFS 7320 servers recently.    To my surprise,
> these systems are designed to be closed and not meant for general
> shell-level interaction.   For example, / is mounted read-only -- but
> because it's a ZFS filesystem, that flag is easily overridden.

If you go to the shell, this warning is displayed:

hostname:> confirm shell
Executing raw shell; "exit" to return to appliance shell ...
|  You are entering the operating system shell.  By confirming this
action in |
|  the appliance shell you have agreed that THIS ACTION MAY VOID ANY
SUPPORT  |
|  AGREEMENT.  If you do not agree to this -- or do not otherwise
understand  |
|  what you are doing -- you should type "exit" at the shell prompt.
EVERY   |
|  COMMAND THAT YOU EXECUTE HERE IS AUDITED, and support personnel may
use    |
|  this audit trail to substantiate invalidating your support contract.
 The  |
|  operating system shell is NOT a supported mechanism for managing this
     |
|  appliance, and COMMANDS EXECUTED HERE MAY DO IRREPARABLE HARM.
      |

|  NOTHING SHOULD BE ATTEMPTED HERE BY UNTRAINED SUPPORT PERSONNEL UNDER
ANY  |
|  CIRCUMSTANCES.  This appliance is a non-traditional operating system
      |
|  environment, and expertise in a traditional operating system
environment   |
|  in NO WAY constitutes training for supporting this appliance.  THOSE
WITH  |
|  EXPERTISE IN OTHER SYSTEMS -- HOWEVER SUPERFICIALLY SIMILAR -- ARE
MORE    |
|  LIKELY TO MISTAKENLY EXECUTE OPERATIONS HERE THAT WILL DO IRREPARABLE
     |
|  HARM.  Unless you have been explicitly trained on supporting this
      |
|  appliance via the operating system shell, you should immediately
return    |
|  to the appliance shell.
      |

|  Type "exit" now to return to the appliance shell.

I would say this is pretty clear. Oracle sells the 7430 as an appliance.
As said, don't mess around on the shell.

Ihsan

--
ihsan at dogan.ch		http://blog.dogan.ch/