[csw-users] Using alternate repository with pkgutil

Larry Siden lsiden at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 14:02:24 CEST 2013

I apologize for originally sending the following post without a subject:

My machine is on Solaris 5.10 and pkgutil.conf has set the mirror at
> http://mirror.opencsw.org/opencsw/testing and has mysql5
> 5.0.96,REV=2012.03.24 installed.
> The page http://mirror.opencsw.org/opencsw/kiel/sparc/5.10/ lists
> mysql5-5.5.30,REV=2013.04.11-SunOS5.10-sparc-CSW.pkg.gz<http://mirror.opencsw.org/opencsw/kiel/sparc/5.10/mysql5-5.5.30%2cREV%3d2013.04.11-SunOS5.10-sparc-CSW.pkg.gz> as
> the current package.
> When I submit pkgutil -C --param=mirror:
> http://mirror.opencsw.org/opencsw/kiel I expect to see CSWmysql5 in the
> listing, but is not listed.  Why?

*First response:*

Hi Larry,
> Here's a two quick remarks:
> >:
> >* My machine is on Solaris 5.10 and pkgutil.conf has set the mirror at
> *>* http://mirror.opencsw.org/opencsw/testing and has mysql5
> *>* 5.0.96,REV=2012.03.24 installed.
> *>
> >* The page http://mirror.opencsw.org/opencsw/kiel/sparc/5.10/ lists
> *>* mysql5-5.5.30,REV=2013.04.11-SunOS5.10-sparc-CSW.pkg.gz as the current
> *>* package.
> * Kiel isn't the testing release (although it should be and it will be,
> eventually).
> >* When I submit pkgutil -C
> *>* --param=mirror:http://mirror.opencsw.org/opencsw/kiel I expect to see
> *>* CSWmysql5 in the listing, but is not listed. Why?
> * I don't know if you can use --param for choosing the catalog. I
> remember that the -t flag was supposed to be used for this purpose.
> But it only added a new catalog to the pool of available catalogs, it
> did not replace the existing ones. Maybe try:
> pkgutil -C -t http://mirror...
> Maciej

*Second response:*

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 11:56 PM, Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński
> <maciej at opencsw.org <https://lists.opencsw.org/mailman/listinfo/users>>
> wrote:
> >* I don't know if you can use --param for choosing the catalog. I
> *>* remember that the -t flag was supposed to be used for this purpose.
> *>* But it only added a new catalog to the pool of available catalogs, it
> *>* did not replace the existing ones. Maybe try:
> *>
> >* pkgutil -C -t http://mirror...
> * You're right Maciej and Larry should've seen this when he tried:
> # pkgutil -C --param=mirror:http://mirror.opencsw.org/opencsw/kiel
> Do not use -p for mirror, use -t instead!
> You're also right that -t pretty much adds to what you have defined as
> "mirror" in pkgutil.conf but in this case it shouldn't have any
> negative effect. He will compare his installed packages to the
> combined contents of testing and Kiel.
>
> /peter

*My response: *
Yes, -t works.  I had forgotten about -t.  I looked for it by typing
"pkginfo" but my eyes kept skipping over it, probably because I was looking
for the word "repository" instead of "site".  There might be a suggestion
there to change the text for that help in case others who are read
impatiently like me.

I guess it's time to bite the bullet and make the switch from testing to
kiel.

Thanks all!

--
-Larry Siden,