[csw-users] Odd Samba/winbind issue

Jan Holzhueter jh at opencsw.org
Mon Jun 24 12:54:34 CEST 2013

Hi,
ok I do have it working:

Here is what I did some steps might not be needed not sure:
!!! BE SURE TO USE CSW TOOLS!!!!

Make sure your time is right so configure ntp or at least use ntpdate

First install samba and samba_winbind

there is a dir missing that winbind still uses so create it
mkdir /var/opt/csw/samba/log

create /etc/opt/csw/krb5.conf (not sure if needed. It could be that it's
determent via dns if your dns is the AD)

My looked like this:

[logging]
    default = FILE:/var/log/krb5.log

[libdefaults]
    ticket_lifetime = 24000
    clock_skew = 300
    default_realm = TEST.BALTIC-ONLINE.DE

[realms]
    TEST.BALTIC-ONLINE.DE = {
	kdc = testwin.test.baltic-online.de:88
	admin_server = testwin.test.baltic-online.de:464
	default_domain = TEST.BALTIC-ONLINE.DE
    }

[domain_realm]
    .test.baltic-online.de = TEST.BALTIC-ONLINE.DE
    test.baltic-online.de = TEST.BALTIC-ONLINE.DE

To help to start over remove /etc/opt/csw/samba/private/*

edit /etc/opt/csw/samba/smb.conf my looks like this:

[global]
  security = ads
  realm = TEST.BALTIC-ONLINE.DE
  password server = testwin.test.baltic-online.de
  workgroup = TEST
netbios name = testnw
name resolve order = host wins
winbind enum users = yes
winbind enum groups = yes
idmap config * : range = 10000-20000
  winbind cache time = 10
  winbind use default domain = yes
  template homedir = /export/home/%U
  template shell = /bin/bash
  client use spnego = yes
  client ntlmv2 auth = yes
  encrypt passwords = yes
  restrict anonymous = 2
  domain master = no
  local master = no
  preferred master = no
  os level = 0
log file = /var/samba/samba.log
log level = 5
[public]
       comment = Public halt
       path = /export/share
       browseable = yes
       valid users = "@Domain Users"
       guest ok = no
       force group = "@Domain Users"

I then joined it to the domain:

/opt/csw/bin/net join -U Administrator

run /opt/csw/sbin/winbindd -FS to see if it starts correctly.
If it does ctrl-c and start the service.

create symlink:
ln -s /opt/csw/lib/libnss_winbind.so.1 /lib/nss_winbind.so.1

enable service svcadm enable cswwinbind

edit /etc/nsswitch.conf
passwd:	    files winbind
group:	    files winbind

restart name cache service:

svcadm restart svc:/system/name-service-cache:default

check user and groups are working:

getent passwd
getent group

fire up samba

svcadm enable cswsamba.

Connect :)

few notes:
since winbind use default domain = yes is set no domain name is needed
for connecting.

the domain separator is \ by default so DOMAINNAME\user

hope that helps.

So you must have getent passwd /group working otherwise it will not
work. At least not for me :)

Greetings
Jan