[csw-users] re-installing package that's already installed

Peter Bonivart bonivart at opencsw.org
Thu Mar 28 00:47:06 CET 2013

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 11:24 PM, P Fudd <gmanedotorg at ch.pkts.ca> wrote:
> I want to do what he wanted to do: I upgraded CSWperl, and now all of my perl
> modules are broken.
>
> I moved /opt/csw/lib/perl/csw and site_perl aside, and am now trying to install
> with pkgutil or cpan the missing modules back again, but right now "cpan
> XML::LibXSLT" is dying with 'ld: fatal: library -lgdbm: not found'.
>
> That's why I want to reinstall CSWgdbm, but pkgutil won't let me remove it or
> install it, because it's in use by CSWcommon.  Removing that would probably be a
> mistake, I think... :-)

Upgraded from what to what? We haven't updated the CSWperl package in
a while and all binary Perl modules are compiled against it so if you
just upgrade those too you will be fine. You can't have, e.g., modules
compiled against Perl 5.8.8 and then upgrade core Perl to 5.10.1.

I strongly advice against moving files around and mixing in CPAN (for
modules we have packaged already). If you really want to reinstall,
remember that pkgutil just calls the Solaris pkg* commands so you can
do pkgrm/pkgadd manually if you want to. Or pkgrm and pkgutil -i to
install again.

Please note that we only support installed packages of the same state
so to speak. To ignore to update dependencies will get you into
trouble.

/peter