[csw-users] cp csw install to new OS.

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Sun Sep 8 23:04:13 CEST 2013

2013/9/8 Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com>:
> Before I start blundering around in a newly insalled OS.  Can anyone
> tell me if I can cp/move a previous install of some csw tools and libs
> from a previous OS to the new one by just rsyncing it across to the
> new OS.

rsync of an installation normally handled by a package manager - not a
good idea. Instead, you can make a list of all installed packages, and
install them with pkgutil on the other host.

If any locally modified configuration files need copying, you can
rsync them selectively.

You can get some examples from a similar scenario, these are
instructions for migrating from Blastwave to OpenCSW. It's similar in
that you need to uninstall one set of packages and install another. In
your case it'll be only the installation phase.

http://www.opencsw.org/use-it/migrating-from-blastwave-to-opencsw/

Maciej