[External] IT's time to remove the Solaris 8 packages

Wyche, George PW George.Wyche at pw.utc.com
Thu Dec 4 20:46:47 CET 2014

If you want to play the #s, then fine. However, your characterization is faulty.

Our Sun workstations are all in house. Not a single one has access to anything outside. All are Solaris 8. Now and then somebody asks for a feature which does exist for Solaris 8, so we used to easily get it from openCSW. This is a small outfit... this department. It's a Windows place that'd just as soon get rid all *nix anything, but they inherited us and moved us around on the books, so nobody outside has been exposed (for any length of time) to our Solaris workstations and see the light of another world of computing.

We did not download the entire offering of openCSW Solaris 8. I did pay $ for DVDs back in the time of Blastwave, but evidently "it was lost in the mail". We really screwed up by not doing what was absolutely necessary to capture the entire offering of Solaris 10 BEFORE OpenCSW had advanced past the version where you could install Solaris with 5 CDs, because after that... too bad if you don't have a DVD reader, no later version of Solaris 10 for you. Without the later version of Solaris 10... Grr! We have Solaris 8 because we cannot get Solaris 10 with the same set of features as Solaris 8.

Just sayin',
George Wyche