what is cas_crontab?

Maciej Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Sat Jan 17 10:51:16 CET 2015

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 06:46:03PM -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org>
> writes:
>
> [...]
>

> >> OK, trying CSWcas_crontab
> >
> > The package name is CSWcas-crontab :-)
>
> OK, nice to know the right name, but that name also fails in the
> search box at pointed to by the cas_crontab page
>  ( http://www.opencsw.org/manual/ )

Yes, because the manual doesn't know anything about specific packages.
It's the manual of the project in general: how do you install packages
in general, how do you build packages in general, and so on.

In a perfect world we would have a single search for everything
(framework questions and specific packages), but we have now bigger
problems so unless someone volunteers, it will stay the way it is now:
fragmented.

Going back to your starting point,
http://www.opencsw.org/package/cas_crontab/ is the right place for this
kind of information, but the problem is that VENDOR_URL points at our
home page, and I think this is an error in the recipe:

https://buildfarm.opencsw.org/source/xref/opencsw/csw/mgar/pkg/cswclassutils/trunk/Makefile#26

This just says: "Class action script $(call cas_shortname,$(1))"

And this
https://buildfarm.opencsw.org/source/xref/opencsw/csw/mgar/pkg/cswclassutils/trunk/Makefile#67
says "SPKG_SOURCEURL = http://www.opencsw.org"

So the least we can do, is to point the recipe at
http://wiki.opencsw.org/cswclassutils-package

Once we do that, http://www.opencsw.org/package/cas_crontab/ will be
more informative.

> >> So, what does a `Class action script crontab' do?
> >
> > Essentially it allows editing the crontab as described in our development wiki:
> >   http://wiki.opencsw.org/cswclassutils-package#toc28
> >
> > You can find the build definition here:
> >   https://buildfarm.opencsw.org/source/xref/opencsw/csw/mgar/pkg/cswclassutils/trunk/
>
> Thanks.  I still did not understand specifically what these lines can
> do.  Is it just the ability to add crontab entries `en-masse' to a group
> of users?

Yes, to specific listed users.

Harry, what could http://wiki.opencsw.org/cswclassutils-package#toc28
say to be more helpful?