pkgutil failing to install specific version of a package dependency

Maciej Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Fri Jun 30 17:28:51 CEST 2017

Hi Anotine,

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 01:41:31PM +0000, ALLARD Antoine via users wrote:
> The depend documentation<https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26505_01/html/816-5174/depend-4.html#REFMAN4depend-4> says that the version should be specified on a new line starting with some whitespace but it did not work in my case (it ended taking the latest revision).
> What is the correct way to specify the revision of a package dependency?

The ability to depend on a specific version of a package is news to me. All of
the OpenCSW packages are built with the assumption that this is not possible.

I tried to determine when was this introduced. I found the previous version of
this document for Solaris 8 and 9:

Solaris 8
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19455-01/806-0633/6j9vn6q35/index.html

Solaris 9
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19683-01/816-0219/6m6njqb78/index.html

Both documents refer to the same file format, which includes the package
version.

Perhaps it's just the OpenCSW tooling that doesn't allow for that? In any case,
it's likely that pkgutil wasn't designed or tested for this feature.

I don't know how much effort would it take to make it work. Maybe Peter
Bonivart can write more about this?

Maciej