Subversion 1.14.1

Franz Sirl Franz.Sirl-kernel at lauterbach.com
Thu Sep 9 11:32:38 CEST 2021

Hi Dagobert,

Am 2021-09-09 um 10:53 schrieb Dagobert Michelsen via users:
> Hi Franz,
>
> Am 08.09.2021 um 18:35 schrieb Franz Sirl <Franz.Sirl-kernel at lauterbach.com>:
>> After you installed the new apr, did you already rebuild and install aprutil and then libserf? If not, the apr fix did not take full effect yet.
>
> In fact I did not rebuild apr yet, I wanted to see subversion build and package in 64 bit first.
> Now that this is done one more question: would adding the conditional include for apr-32/-64
> without the _FILE_OFFSET_BITS patch also require rebuildung? My impression is that this is
> needed for all packages that do have 64 bit components as the header file for 64 bit changed
> but not the header for the 32 bit build.

without the _FILE_OFFSET_BITS patch only the 64-bit stuff depending on
the fixed apr.h/apr-64.h needs rebuilding, the 32bit stuff is
unaffected. But can the OpenCSW framework rebuild only the 64-bit
dependencies?

That's why I didn't include the _FILE_OFFSET_BITS patch by default.
Without it all the working 32-bit applications and libraries remain
backward and forward ABI compatible.
The 64-bit applications and libraries depending on the old apr.h were
potentially (certainly for subversion) broken anyway.

Or, in other words, the _FILE_OFFSET_BITS patch is irrelevant for
64-bit, because there _FILE_OFFSET_BITS is already set to 64.
Setting _FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 on 32-bit would be nice for the
functionality of 32-bit applications, but has the big drawback of
changing the ABI (if you try the patch you will see a changed apr-32.h)
of apr. And changing the ABI means you need a way to force users to
update all their installed applications/libraries depending on apr if
they try to update apr alone.

regards,
Franz