[csw-buildfarm] BO buildfarm: bad performance

James Lee james at opencsw.org
Mon Jul 13 10:52:45 CEST 2009

On 12/07/09, 22:43:42, Sebastian Kayser <skayser at opencsw.org> wrote
regarding Re: [csw-buildfarm] BO buildfarm: bad performance:

> Ihsan Dogan wrote:
> > The buildfarm at BO is extremely slow at the moment -- it takes 10
> > seconds to start vim. Would be great if someone could have a look into
> > that.

> the buildfarm seems to be suffering again from poor IO performance.

> My ack tests that usually take about 1 minute max have been running for
> about half an hour now on build8x. asvc_t for my NFS mounted home (as
> seen in "iostat -xnc 30") was about 1500 ms. Running "mkfile 10m
> ~/tmp/foobar" just now for testing purposes even gave me a wsvc_t of
> 60749.4.

It's caused by too many people doing IO stress tests.  Please log out
and let people do work :-)

> Any idea what is killing the IO here? Is there a known IO bottleneck
> during a certain time of the day due to backups? Apart from the last
> time when Ihsan mailed, i had not experienced such wait times before.

The poor performance is caused by the machine is being used.  I'm
building OpenOffice.org 3.1.  Peter is building gcc3 and William is/has
been building FF3.

We've been looking at it for several days now and can't see an obvious
problem other than it can't cope with load.  The farcical situation
where the machine had excellent performance except under load.  The
only conclusion I have is Solaris can't apportion IO under load.

I've run the same build on pandora and will compare timings.

We ought to arrange the build discs in a RAID 0 system for speed.
I'm not sure how we have them now but I expect they are mirrored
for safety.  Build is ephemeral and needs speed.

James.