[csw-buildfarm] Sun Studio 12 on Solaris 9

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Fri Jan 14 13:30:01 CET 2011

Hi Peter,

Um, I cc'ed buildfarm@:

> Von: 	Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org>
> 	Betreff: 	Re: [csw-buildfarm] Sun Studio 12 on Solaris 9
> 	Datum: 	14. Januar 2011 13:10:00 MEZ
> 	An: 	Peter Felecan <pfelecan at opencsw.org>
> 	Kopie: 	buildfarm <buildfarm at opencsw.org>

No secrets in here, forward as you see fit :-)

>> Am 14.01.2011 um 12:58 schrieb Peter FELECAN:
>>> I don't remember if there is a reason for which we don't have Sun
>>> Studio 12 on the build farm for Solaris 9. Reading in:
>>>
>>> http://docs.sun.com/source/820-2973/release_notesML.html#SystemReqs
>>>
>>> "Solaris OS 9, Solaris OS 10 1/06 and subsequent updates"
>>>
>>> If there is no reason, can we have the 12.2 version installed on build9x
>>> and build9s?
>>
>> No, because you have read the release notes for Sun Studio 12.
>> Sun Studio 12.1 is really Sun Studio 13, but you know due to
>> the Knight Templar slaughtering 13 is unlucky and therefore
>> SS 13 has been called 12.1 and SS 14 has been called 12.2.
>
> A lot that I didn't knew... I think that the 13 related superstition
> comes from the day of the fall of Constantinople in April 13th 1204, the
> Templar slaughtering happened on October 13th 1307.

It seems that Tuesday, the 13th (13/2/1204 was a tuesday) is only
in Spanish-speaking countries seen as "bad day" due to
Wikipedia:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_the_13th
Reviewing more background showed that the Friday the 13th was not
generally known as unlucky day since the novel "Friday the 13th"
from Thomas William Lawson released 1907 and it in fact has nothing
to do with the Templars despite the possible source of inspiration :-)

>> Despite the similar names these are major releases.
>> As you see from the proper release notes for 12.1 at
>>  http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E19205-01/821-0080/index.html
>> it requires at least Solaris 10 1/06 and in fact does not
>> work on Solaris 9 due to missing libraries.
>>
>> Sun Studio 12 is btw installed on current9* as default compiler:
>
> Alright. Consequently I'm needing at least 13... unlucky me.

Yup, that means Solaris 10 only (or gcc :-( ).