[cfarm-admins] Offer for Sparc machines

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Mon Aug 20 11:20:59 CEST 2018

Hi Baptiste,

Am 18.08.2018 um 01:23 schrieb Baptiste Jonglez <baptiste at bitsofnetworks.org>:
> On 15-08-18, Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
>> SSH Keys are installed on both machnes for root.
>
> I gave it a try, ansible seems to work fine!
>
> Here are some things I noticed while experimenting:
>
> 1) solaris11 has bash by default for new accounts, but solaris10 has sh.
>   Is it possible to set bash as default shell on solaris10 too?

Nope, the default shell can only be changed in Solaris 11. For Solaris 10
you have to explicitly add „-s /usr/bin/bash“ to useradd or use usermod
later on to change the shell. If you use ansible you may specify the shell
path in the respective module.

> 2) on a related note, on solaris10, there is an error when logging in:
>
>      -sh: PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/sbin: is not an identifier

I guess you are talking about user bjonglez. The problem is the following
line in .profile of the users home:

export PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/sbin

The Solaris Bourne Shell does not allow exporting while setting.
You can use

PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
export PATH

instead or change the shell to bash with
  usermod -s /usr/bin/bash bjonglez.

> 3) on both solaris10 and solaris11, /opt/csw/bin/ is not in the $PATH

THe default is now added in /etc/profile. In your current configuration
to ~/.profile overwrites this setting, so a different skeleton may be
advisable. How is your setup on the other buildfarm hosts? Do you have
a standard skeleton?

> 4) solaris11 has a German locale (LANG=de_DE.UTF-8), and solaris10 has no
>   locale at all.  Can you set en_US.UTF-8 for both?

Sure:

gcc-solaris10# locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8

gcc-solaris11# locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8

LANG is often inherited from your ssh environment, so please make sure
to unset LANG before sshing over.

> Otherwise, it works fine!  Feel free to apply for an account if it helps
> you to debug this kind of things.  Once the issues with the shells are
> fixed, I will deploy all users and announce the availability of the
> machines.
>
> One more question: who should we credit for the hosting on
> https://cfarm.tetaneutral.net/machines/list/ , and in which city is the
> machine located?

The machine is located in Kiel, Germany and our company which is sponsoring the
machine is Baltic Online http://baltic-online.de
Our company is also sponsoring the OpenCSW buildfarm so we are also strongly associated
with OpenCSW. It would be nice if you could mention both Baltic Online and OpenCSW :-)

Best regards

  — Dago