gcc210, gcc211: gcc fails

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 00:15:51 CEST 2018

> Hi,
>
> Am 04.09.2018 um 14:35 schrieb Baptiste Jonglez via buildfarm
> <buildfarm at lists.opencsw.org>:
>> On 04-09-18, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
>>> Thank you, connecting works!
>>>
>>> Just in case this isn't known:
>>> On solaris11 (where shell etc. work better), gcc does not work
>>> while it works on solaris10 (where auto-completion is missing):
>>> $ gcc -c test.c
>>> /opt/csw/lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.10/5.5.0/../../../../sparc-sun-solaris2.10/bin/as:
>>> unrecognized option `-m32'
>>> Similar for "-m64".
>>
>> Thanks for testing.  I'm not expert in Solaris, but the people from the
>> OpenCSW build farm can probably help!
>
> Ok, found it, gcc implicitly tries to invoke Solaris „as“ which was not
> installed and fell back to GNU as which does not know the option.
> Installing "developer/assembler“ fixed the issue.

Thank you, I can confirm that gcc works now.

> Please keep me posted if you find other oddities on the Solaris machines.

Thank you, the remaining issue I currently see is that Solaris 10 (gcc210)
defaults to /bin/sh which makes running (FFmpeg) configure impossible
while the Solaris 11 system (gcc211) defaults to bash making everything
much easier.

How is a non-root user supposed to overwrite the default shell?

Carl Eugen