Ruby CI on Solaris

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Wed Jun 19 12:49:12 CEST 2019

Hi Yusuke,

Am 18.06.2019 um 01:08 schrieb Yusuke Endoh <mame at ruby-lang.org>:
> I'm Yusuke Endoh, who is a developer of Ruby programming language.
>
> We are using OpenCSW build machines to test Ruby on Solaris 10/11 x86/SPARC.
> We highly appreciate your support.
>
> Recently, our test suite often fails on OpenCSW due to timeout, ENOSPC, or ENOMEM.
> A few years ago, it took much less than three hours, but currently it sometimes
> takes more than ten hours.  This makes it difficult for us to manage the CIs.
>
> In fact, when I log in to the machines (especially unstable10s), they are painfully slow.
> Are they working properly?  Or do you know if any trouble is happening?
>
> I'd be happy if you could give me any advice to address this issue.

The problem is that the zfs cache in the kernel we are using has a memory leak which results
in memory getting low after a couple of month. We cannot patch the system as the newer
kernel also introduces a new libc which makes it harder to build packages for older
versions of Solaris, so we must stick to it. The solution is reboot the machine every couple
of month if it gets too slow. The solutio0n is to drop me a note when the responsetimes
become unacceptable, sorry :-/

I am currently on vacation with limited connectivity.
@Jan: Can you please reboot the 5220 sometime?

Best regards

  — Dago