tcpdump on open solaris

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Thu Sep 19 16:59:17 CEST 2019

Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
    > Am 17.09.2019 um 22:09 schrieb Michael Richardson <mcr at sandelman.ca>:
    >> Hi, Francois-Xavier Le Bail <devel.fx.lebail at orange.fr> says that you
    >> can give me an account on an solaris system to test builds of tcpdump.

    > Sure, you should be able to login now with ssh mcr at llogin.opencsw.org

    > Please make sure to read /etc/SETUP. Just let me know if you need
    > anything.

So I surmise that the internal machines/VMs do not have network connectivity,
so I do git checkout on the login machine, and rely on NFS/etc. to get my
code elsewhere.

I see:

  checking for capable lex... insufficient
  configure: error: flex is insufficient to compile libpcap.
   libpcap requires Flex 2.5.31 or later, or a compatible version of lex.

This was on unstable9s, which I picked because it was the first on the list :-)

I can obviously --prefix=$HOME install it, but maybe I am just missing $PATH
entries that would get it for me?

Denis, did you have something installed already?  I don't see anything in
~denis, but I do see tcpdump/libpcap there.

I see that a multitude of different compilers are available and platforms.
I feel that a for host in X; for CC in Y; loop would be worthwhile doing.
I'll satisfy myself with just building for one system for now.

    > Additionally, I took the liberty of adding you to the OpenCSW farm
    > users list at
    > https://www.opencsw.org/extend-it/signup/to-upstream-maintainers/

Thank you.
{I sometimes miss SunOS 4.1.3}