[csw-devel] mGAR will arrive soon

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Sun Nov 23 23:14:53 CET 2008

Hi William,

Am 23.11.2008 um 23:04 schrieb William Bonnet:
> I noticed you removed the sub directory lib apps gnome etc. in your
> commit. Are we now going to have a flat list of packages or do we
> keep a
> kind of tree by categories ?

In the current GAR the directory serve the purpose of
defining the category, although the category is defined
in the Makefile ("CATEGORIES"). In mGAR the category is
defined only by CATEGORIES, the directory structure is
arbitrary. I always found the separation between
apps/devel/util/lib hard, so I removed the hierarchy
there - there was no category-specific code there
anyway. I kept the hierarchy for cpan, xfce and xorg.
But as I said: the hierarchy is now definable at will,
so any good design will do.

Additionally, it is now possible to define "views"
of packages, e. g. by maintainer with using external
references. You should than be able to check out
   mgar/by-maintainer/wbonnet
and get all you packages.