[csw-devel] SF.net SVN: gar:[14697] csw/mgar/pkg/graphviz/trunk/Makefile

John Ellson ellson at opencsw.org
Fri Jun 3 02:55:08 CEST 2011

I should expand on this:

> Libtool built and linked them in the build tree, they only become
> unavailable when installing them into DESTDIR, which is not the final
> install location, during the "make install" step for constructing the
> packages.

"make install" uses "libtool install" which relinks the targets using the target install location -L paths.  This is what produces the .libs/libfoobar.so.1.2.3T files.  These T files that are renamed and packaged in DESTDIR, but of course the library depdencies (shown by ldd) are broken until all of the packages in the package-set are installed.

And this all breaks if an old libfoobar.so is already installed, since libtool will pick that up, incorrectly, when linking the T file.
Solution to that is to uninstall the -devel package of the old release.  Which is what we did today for graphviz.

(The -devel package contains libfoobar.so and libfoobar.so.0 softlinks.    The real, old libfoobar.0.1.2.so is OK, apparently because libtool knows that its not the version it wants.)

John