[csw-devel] SF.net SVN: gar:[21544] csw/mgar/pkg/tiff/trunk

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Wed Jul 24 10:01:31 CEST 2013

Laurent Blume <laurent at opencsw.org> writes:

> On 23/07/2013 20:38, Peter FELECAN wrote:
>> The reverse is true also. GCC doesn't change ABI's so often, quite
>> rarely. If you look in our recipes, what I proposed is the more frequent
>> form and it a good thing like that.
>
> I lived through the bad times of GCC3.x, so I guess I got a bit burnt
> back then.

Can you enlighten me with a sustaining reference to these ABI issues?

>> Are you maintaining the upstream project? From my point of view you're
>> packaging it, which is quite different. If you look at what means
>> "maintainer mode" in GNU standards you'll be quite surprised. This is
>> why I think that such an option is to be activated only exceptionally in
>> our situation.
>
> Well, feel free to enlighten me. I admit I've not been able to find
> much information about it, so since you know better, do tell, or give
> some reference.
>
> The help says that:
>   --enable-maintainer-mode
>                    enable make rules and dependencies not useful (and
>                    sometimes confusing) to the casual installer
>
> Since I believe what I'm doing is not casual installer stuff, it seems
> adequate. What would it break?

http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html#maintainer_002dmode

After reading this, do you feel more empowered to use this option?

You should understand that, initially, I was just making collegial
observations which you are free to follow or not.
--
Peter