libffi, missing symbolic link

Riccardo Mottola rmottola at opencsw.org
Sun Feb 16 15:46:49 CET 2014

On 02/16/14 13:14, Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
> Hi Riccardo,
>
> Am 16.02.2014 um 12:10 schrieb Riccardo Mottola <rmottola at opencsw.org>:
>> I had some success getting GNUstep work on solaris 8 & 10! however, when I updated right now on solaris 10, I cannot configure it anymore (use the same options though)
I will try out as soon as the weekend ends and let you know! What
happened then is that the upgrade did not install the -dev package.
I notice that both v4 and v5 are required, it would be perhaps
> Excellent! As Peter suggested the previous ffi-package has been split into the
> library and the dev-package which is not installed by default. Maybe you can
> make a package from GNUstep?
Is there interest in GS packages? I am ashamed to admit that after one
year haven't started contributing with packages and my project to have
at least a subset of solaris 8 packages remained at the starting block.
My principal interest is in GNUstep itself, I'd be very happy if other
people were interested in it, everything that raises its awareness is
welcome. I have read sometimes people here interested in alternative
desktop environments and portable toolkits. i offered GNUstep without reply.

Packaging GNUstep is not that easy when done on certain operating
systems. I would package separately, adding like 10-20 packages, divided
in core frameworks, developer tools, additional frameworks and then the
different applications, ranging from stuff like terminal and file
manager up to FTP tools and other stuff.
I guess that certain apps don't have a use on Solaris, like a battery
monitor for laptops or audio mixer control, since there are no laptops
ad few UltraSparc workstations.

If somebody else is interested in GNUstep I'll be happy to do and/or
help with the packaging, everything which gives GS more exposure is good!

Riccardo