[csw-maintainers] libxml2 question

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Mon Dec 8 01:25:45 CET 2008

Excerpts from Dagobert Michelsen's message of Sun Dec 07 11:09:48 -0500 2008:

Hi Dago,

> I really don't know. From my understanding there should be only
> one catalog on a system, but it may be a good idea to have a
> special catalog for OpenCSW without intefering with the system.
> If you want this changed please let me know what there needs
> to be changed in the GAR description of libxml2.

Well, I'd like to agree with this, but I think that for sanity
purposes we should separate the CSW xml/sgml catalog info into our
own little universe for the same reason we roll our own (sometimes
duplicate) versions of libraries, etc.

Solaris 10 is providing some of this stuff already (including docbook
v4.1 dtds) through one of the Gnome packages, while it doesn't exist
on solaris 8 (and 9?)...The dtd package I'm putting together provides
the same dtd as above in addition to many other versions.

None of my systems with libxml2 have anything actually in the catalog
presently, so this may not be something that has been leveraged yet,
which would make the change simple.  Knowing this for sure would help
though.  If there are packages using xmlcatalog to install references
to various items, then a transition becomes trickier since
install/uninstall scripts from those package most likely reference
paths explicitly and would therefore be broken by any change of this
nature.

[Comments from packagers of things that depend on libxml2 are quite
welcome here, assuming others agree that we should segregate our
catalog info.]

I'll have a look at the results of the package from your updated GAR
description for libxml2...a cursory glance looks like it should be
putting the in the proper (CSW) locations.

Thoughts on the above anyone?

Thanks

GPG Key Id: 8E89F6D2; Key Server: pgp.mit.edu
Contact me to arrange for a CAcert assurance meeting.