[csw-maintainers] policy on .la files?

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Sat Dec 13 19:09:44 CET 2008

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 03:34:11PM +0100, Peter FELECAN wrote:
> > The OpenCSW standard says to exclude .la files. I just had
> > a lively discussion with Phil wheter to change that and
> > include .la-files again. If you have hard technical facts
> > why to include them I would be interested to hear them.
>
> It helps the libtool job, consequently I think that it's a good thing
> to include them.

it doesnt really help much.
and sometimes, it even gets in the way.

as a comparison, debian has technically banned them, although apparently
some packages still have them.

To put it another way:
If a libtool file actually ADDED VALUE somehow, like adding some required
compiler flags in, then by all means keep it.

but otherwise, they just leave a mess